From OSE SRD
10’ long, serpentine lizards. Unintelligent, but highly magical. Dwell in caverns and twisted brambles.
|Armour Class||4 |
|Hit Dice||6+1** (28hp)|
|Attacks||Att 1 × bite (1d10 + petrification), 1 × gaze (petrification)|
|Saving Throws||D10 W11 P12 B13 S14 (6)|
|Number Appearing||1d6 (1d6)|
- Surprise: Characters surprised by a basilisk meet its gaze.
- Petrifying touch: Anyone touched by a basilisk is turned to stone (save vs petrify).
- Petrifying gaze: Anyone meeting a basilisk’s gaze is turned to stone (save versus petrify). Unless averting eyes orusing a mirror, characters in melee are affected each round.
- Averting eyes: –4 penalty to-hit; the basilisk gains a +2 bonus to attack.
- Mirrors: The reflection of a basilisk is harmless. Fighting by looking in a mirror incurs a –1 penalty to attack. If a basilisk sees its own reflection (2-in-6 chance), it must save or be petrified.