A character’s score in each ability determines whether they have any bonuses or penalties associated with various actions in the game. The tables opposite list the modifiers associated with each ability score, with the effects described below.
- 1 Strength (STR)
- 2 Intelligence (INT)
- 3 Wisdom (WIS)
- 4 Dexterity (DEX)
- 5 Constitution (CON)
- 6 Charisma (CHA)
- 7 Prime Requisite
Brawn, muscle, and physical power.
- Melee: Is applied to attack and damage rolls with melee weapons.
- Open doors: The chance of success with attempts to force open a stuck door (see Dungeon Adventuring).
Learning, memory, and reasoning.
- Spoken languages: Denotes the number of languages the character can speak.
- Literacy: Indicates the character’s ability to read and write their native languages.
|3||Native (broken speech)||Illiterate|
|13–15||Native + 1 additional||Literate|
|16–17||Native + 2 additional||Literate|
|18||Native + 3 additional||Literate|
Willpower, common sense, perception, and intuition.
- Magic saves: Is applied to saving throws (see Saving Throws) versus magical effects. This does not normally include saves against breath attacks, but may apply to any other saving throw category.
Agility, reflexes, speed, and balance.
- AC: Modifies the character’s AC (a bonus lowers AC, a penalty raises it).
- Missile: Applied to attack rolls (but not damage rolls) with ranged weapons.
- Initiative: Modifies the character’s initiative roll, if the optional rule for individual initiative is used (see Combat).
Health, stamina, and endurance.
- Hit points: Applies when rolling a character’s hit points (i.e. at 1st level and every time a level is gained thereafter). A character always gains at least 1 hit point per Hit Die, regardless of CON modifier.
Force of personality, persuasiveness, personal magnetism, physical attractiveness, and ability to lead.
- NPC reactions: Applies when hiring retainers and when interacting with monsters.
- Max # of retainers: Determines the number of retainers a character may have at any one time.
- Retainer loyalty: Determines retainers’ loyalty to the character.
|CHA||NPC Reactions||Max #||Loyalty|
Each character class has one or more prime requisites—ability scores of special importance to that class’ function. A character’s score in their prime requisites affects how quickly the character gains experience points.
Characters with a single prime requisite use the table to the right. The modifiers for classes with multiple prime requisites are noted in the class description.
- XP modifier: Is applied to all experience points awarded to the character, unless otherwise noted in the description of the class.
Prime Requisite Modifiers
|Prime Requisite||XP Modifier|